Search This Blog

Monday 7 September 2015

'Meet the EXCO' Monday: SAA Debanada Patro

Welcome to our Meet the EXCO series where we share a little about our EXCO members every other Monday. 

Today, we are going to meet our Sergeant-At-Arms, Debanada Patro. From day one, Deb has greatly entertained us with his sense of humour and deadpan delivery of his jokes. He is always willing to help out with club activities and is a familiar friendly face among the members. Let's find out more about what he has to say!

1. Tell us a little something surprising about yourself.
I have a childhood dream to run my own business. In fact, in 2000 I took a break from work for about a year and started an Internet cafe. The shop included a cafe, 5 pool tables and 20 internet stations. However, running a business was hard and I lost everything. Then, it was back to the IT profession.

2. How long have you been with Anchorvale TMC?  

I am "one year old" in Anchorvale TMC. My company has its own club, but due to work challenges I don't have time to attend their meetings. I am so lucky to have a club near my home and can attend the meetings during weekends. My passion to learn and regular attendance eventually led me to join the EXCO.

3. Can you tell me something about your responsibilities as SAA?

As Sergeant-At-Arms, I attend to club property and coordinate club meetings. Everything I do as SAA supports the club's mission.

4. What do you like/enjoy most about Anchorvale TMC?

Anchorvale TMC is unique and most importantly I learn while having fun. As it is a non-profit organization and open to all, I really hope that others can take this opportunity to learn while having fun too. I am keen to keep up the legendary activities that we have and maintain the club's success.
I see that we have positive competition, which spurs everyone to put 100% in their speeches. What that means is, this club will produce many international champions. Obviously, this is a good thing.

5. How has being a toastmasters affected other areas of your life?

I am very attached to my family, like most other people. Since I attend most of the chapter meetings every alternate Saturday, my family members feel they have "lost" me for 8 hours every month! But over time they have gotten used to it.

6. What is your personal philosophy?

I am happy to be me and not anyone else.

7. What is one thing you cannot live without/cannot resist?

I can't live without love - for love is the single source for air, food and light.

No comments:

Post a Comment