Search This Blog

Monday 31 August 2015

'Meet the EXCO' Monday: VPM Riz Masurekar

Welcome to our Meet the EXCO series where we share a little about our EXCO members every other Monday.

Today, we are introducing our VP Membership, Riz Masurekar. He is no stranger to being in the EXCO as he was Treasurer in the outgoing EXCO. Riz never fails to inspire the audience with his impressive oratory skills and charismatic personality. Let's find out more about what he has to say!

1. Tell us a little something surprising/unusual about yourself.
 
Let me share a life-changing moment with you all. I was a terrible student in my engineering course, always flunking and barely scraped through the years. Those years of consistent failures and constant taunts shattered my self-esteem. However in the final year, we had a course, Business Management, in which I found myself naturally excelling in. Towards the end of my course, I confided in the professor of the course: “Sir, I wonder whether I would ever be as successful as Hiren (the class topper).” 
 
The professor looked straight into my eyes and replied: “I have no doubt that you will eventually be more successful than Hiren. Because, while he can do his tasks very well, you have the ability to get people to do tasks very well. And corporations always recognise and reward people who can get other people to achieve goals.”
 
I was dumbstruck and thought he was pulling a fast one on me. Now after 20 years, whenever I recall this conversation, I realise his knowledge about corporate organisations was correct.
 
2. How long have you been with Anchorvale TMC?
 
I joined Anchorvale TMC in October 2013 and won the Best Table Topics in my first meeting. That had an encouraging impact on me. Also, right from the start, the warmth and friendliness of Salma, Sathya, Roger, Thomas and others really touched me and made me realise — this is the club where I want to be. In 2014, Roger and Sathya tactfully convinced me on why they believed in me as an ideal choice as the Club Treasurer. I couldn’t refuse my friends and the rest is history.
 
3. Can you tell me something about your responsibilities as VPM?
 
As the VP Membership for 2015/16, my key responsibilities are to:
  1. Retain existing members along with their enthusiasm by understanding and fulfilling their needs.
  2. Plan a Membership Building Strategy to expand our membership strength
  3. Invite new guests to join by welcoming them with the same warmth, friendliness and clarity that I got when I first walked in.
Frankly, for me, it’s never been about the role. It’s always about the goal. I love the glint of hope
and excitement in the eyes of a first-timer when I explain to them how Toastmasters can help them
find their own voice!
 
4. What do you like/enjoy most about Anchorvale TMC?
 
Anchorvale TMC is like my second home. I have not seen any other place where members are
genuinely concerned about the development of other members and voluntarily get involved to support
others. I have met some of my best friends in this club: Sathya, Roger, Salma etc. Zul and Norman remind me of my younger days (which were not too long ago). I love their youthful company. Chee Sian, Deb, Hareesh etc. have deeply impressed me with their simplicity and commitment. Suresh and Thomas have consistently appreciated and encouraged me at contests.
 
5. What do you wish other people knew about being a toastmasters?
 
I would prefer people to understand that Toastmasters is not only about personal development. It is also about getting involved in the development of others. It’s nice to hear people applauding you, but it is even better to see people applauding someone whom you have helped to improve.
 
6. What is the best/worst thing to happen since you joined Anchorvale TMC/becoming a toastmasters?
 
Best Things:
  1. I made so many good friends and met many well-wishers at Anchorvale TMC. I couldn’t have asked for more.
  2. In 2014, I surged all the way to the District finals of the Humorous Speech Contest. At that level, it wasn’t me any more. It was about representing Anchorvale TMC.
Worst Things:
Are you kidding? This is Anchorvale, the place for only the best people and best moments! Haha!
 
7. What is your personal philosophy?
  1.  Losers quit when they are tired. Winners quit when they have won.
  2. Keep working silently and let your success make all the noise
  3. A talented individual can with a match. But a united team can win a tournament.
8. What are your most overused word or phrase?
 
You don’t want to know some of the swear-words in Hindi, do you? Haha! On a serious note, one of my most overused word is “Hello” because it’s the best word to know someone.
 
9. What is one thing you cannot live without/cannot resist?
 
My wife, lah. (And no, I didn't say that because I heard the faint click of a Colt M191 gun behind me. LOL!)

No comments:

Post a Comment