Search This Blog

Monday 17 August 2015

'Meet the EXCO' Monday: VPE 1 Norman Tan

Welcome to our Meet the EXCO series where we share a little about our EXCO members every other week.

Today, we are introducing our VP Education, Norman Tan. This is his second term in the EXCO as he was VPE 2 in the outgoing EXCO. Always friendly and helpful, Norman makes it a point to warmly welcome all new members and help them get acquainted with the projects and club culture. Let's find out more about what he has to say!



1. Tell us a little something surprising/unusual about yourself.

Hmm... I haven’t told many about this, but I’m quite a closet film buff! I really like movies, especially as a form of art. I especially like films that carry a conversation within them, such as those by Christopher Nolan or Stanley Kubrick. One example would be the romantic drama trilogy by Richard Linklater (Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Before Midnight). It's a beautiful tribute to the passage of time and love, and I think it represents filmmaking at its very best

2. How long have you been with Anchorvale TMC? 

I’ve been with the club for close to four years now! Zul (our current President) was actually the one who roped me into the club. I always felt that I needed to work on my speaking skills and joining Anchorvale TMC felt like a step in the right direction for me. Since then, I’ve never looked back ☺

3. Can you tell me something about your responsibilities as VPE?

The VPE stands for the Vice-President (Education). Essentially, I am in charge of the chapter meeting programme as well as the educational progress of all the members. As the programme co-ordinator, I will arrange the programme and speakers list for each meeting. I also help to keep track of each member’s growth using the Progress Report and schedule their various speech slots.

4. What do you like/enjoy most about Anchorvale TMC/being a toastmasters?

The part I love most is that with each speech, I get access to the stories of so many others, stories that I would not have paid attention to otherwise. You know the website, Humans of New York? I feel that with each prepared speech/table topics, you get a glimpse into someone else life and experiences, their hopes and dreams, and sometimes it can be miniscule, but still very uplifting.

5. What do you wish other people knew about Anchorvale TMC/being a toastmasters?

That is not just a place for the shy or less confident to pick up public speaking. I think that mindset in itself is a misrepresentation of Toastmasters. It is definitely not just for those who are poor in public speaking. Ultimately, Toastmasters should be a safe space for people to come, learn and express their views, to venture out of their comfort zone. Everyone needs that safe zone, to experiment and try, regardless of how talented you are, and I believe that Anchorvale TMC serves that goal.

6. How has being a toastmasters affected other areas of your life?

Needless to say, Toastmasters has really helped me be more comfortable speaking in front of large crowds. Contrary to what most think, even the most experienced speakers are prone to moments of anxiety prior to speaking. Its not about the experience, but about the practice involved. And this was something I didn’t pay much attention to before I joined. Now, I’m even more acutely aware of the importance of practice.

7. What is your personal philosophy?

Always stay curious and hungry for knowledge. That way, you will seek to learn. This philosophy reminds myself to stay humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment