Search This Blog

Monday 3 December 2018

131st Chapter Meeting Recap





Valliappan Selvamani, Sergeant-At-Arms and Toastmaster of the Day, began the 131st Chapter Meeting by asking each one of us about the goal we had set for 2018, how successful we were in accomplishing it, as well as about the goal for year 2019. Year 2018 has been a terrible year for me, and I had not set any goal for myself. I have been attending lectures and seminars by academic professors. I found their talks dry and sleepy, therefore I have set my goal in improving my public speaking skill. I am doing historical research in my free time; therefore, I am sharing my research findings in my speeches in Toastmaster meetings. By taking feedback from my fellow toastmasters, I plan to make my speeches more lively and energetic.
The next session was “Prepared Speeches Session”. The first prepared speech was delivered by Anthony Lin, and the purpose was how to raise our financial awareness on current financial scams. He began his speech by sharing his own “scam” experience. We have learnt much financial terms from his speech.
Next Speaker, Sarah Ongs speech was all about importance of sleep, and the key take away was we should sleep at least 7-9 hours per day. Rama Krishna delivered a message showcasing importance of communication.
Third speaker, Rusman spoke about qualities of a good leader as it happened so did our fifth speaker Jeff. I picked up some important leadership skills from bth of their speeches.
Being the fourth speaker, I shared many of my memorable experience during my primary school which was the Griffiths Primary School. Helena’s prepared speech was about the horrible effects of diabetes, the pictures in her PowerPoint slides further emphasized her message.
After the refreshment, our distinguished guests from Choa Chu Kang Toastmasters Club, George Chew, Lee Chin Teck, Aaron Ting, as well as our members, Nareesh BN,  Muthu Ganesh, Wee Chee Sian, last but not least, Jenny Au gave constructive and wonderful suggestions to all our speakers.
As Table Topics Master, Narayana Rao picked a number topics regarding “Singapore”, many participants came forward to speak and overall enthusiasm added colour and delight to the session.
Special thanks to Audrey Lim to her timer’s report, Muthu Ganesh’s Language Evaluator’s report, Freeya’s An Counter’s report, and Chee Sian’s thank you note and Award Presentation. Best speaker ribbon was handed over to Rusman, Best Evaluator Ribbon was handed over to Aaron and the best Table topic speaker award was received by George Chew.
I had a wonderful afternoon with Anchorvale Toastmaster’s Chapter Meeting, wherein I learnt a lot of tips and skills on public speaking and leadership, which are useful and precious to me. I am looking forward to the next Christmas Special Chapter Meeting on 8th December.

-Written by Lucas Lui

No comments:

Post a Comment