Search This Blog

Sunday 4 June 2017

Memoirs of a Toastmaster's Journey - Into the FUN Experience

Communication and leadership. This is the most common answer given when asked what Toastmasters is about. 



Let’s be honest. Most of us Toastmasters already recognised the importance of communication and leadership even before joining our Toastmasters Clubs. In addition, we bring along our own set of values and beliefs to become members of our Toastmasters Clubs. In other words, we did not pick up communication and leadership skills only after joining Toastmasters. We joined to enhance both of these skills.



Here comes the litmus test. When asked to do speech projects or assume appointment roles in your Club’s meetings, would you take it up with little or no hesitation? That’s communication and leadership. When appropriate, would you go the extra mile to do something special for your Club members? That’s when your set of values and beliefs come into the picture. And if you do, your communication and leadership skills are further enhanced.

As members of a non-profit organisation, the major gel that binds all of us together is the mission of giving. Intangibles are hard to be accounted for. Did your speaking encourage more members of your Club to do the same? Did taking up EXCO position contribute to your Club? Did taking on a role in a committee outside of the Club create value for the Area, Division or even District level? We cannot put a number to quantify everything. Through our observations in the Toastmasters community, we know the answer is yes, to all the three earlier questions. Personally, to me it does not matter how much, as long as it does.
Behind the scenes

During the scenes

I was asked to do a website for District 80 Annual Conference 2017, distinctively named FUN – Fresh, Unique and New. I took it up. I look upon it as giving to the Toastmasters community as mentioned earlier. I probably did more. That isn't the point though. I received more, intangibles. As part of the organising committee, the many interactions, co-ordinations and decisions added spice to my Toastmasters journey. Truth be told, I picked up website design skills not too long ago. This opportunity gave me further chances to sharpen my knowledge while developing the website. I am grateful for the numerous feedbacks I received, without which I would not have learned so much, while at the same time having FUN!


FUN Organising Committee


Flashback to the time when I first joined Anchorvale CC Toastmasters Club close to four years ago. I thought it was simply about polishing one’s public speaking skills. If someone had told me at that point of time, “You are going to be asked to do speeches, then appointment roles….join the EXCO….take up organizing Toastmasters activities outside the Club….take on more responsibilities to lead…. Area position…. District….” The timid and clueless me would be taken aback, having second thoughts. Looking to the future with bloated expectations can be frightening. Just like when I am overcoming the fear of public speaking.




With my Anchorvale Family

On hindsight though, its one of “I meet people, who become my friends, we took on roles…. organised segments and grew…. in the midst, meet more people and make friends…. realise we can confidently do even more as a team and really did…. and wow it was such FUN….”



Richen and I with the World Champion of Public Speaking - Darren Tay

I am not saying the journey is easy, smooth sailing and all Pollyanna. The conclusion of the two day event on 27 to 28 May 2017, District 80 FUN Annual Conference 2017 may have received more compliments than ‘very honest feedback’. 




This is judging from the many jovial photographs put up by enthusiastic delegates on the AC2017FUN Facebook page. I thought nobody would have refute this, all of us grow from such events making. That includes delegates of the Annual Conference. There will always be “we could have done so and so better”. Like all growth, it’s a journey, never a destination. This, in my view, is another answer to what Toastmasters is about.



Thank you for the memories and lessons so far!

Written By: 
Wee Chee Sian, CC, ALB
VPE 2, Anchorvale CC Toastmasters Club
District 80, Division Z, Area Z2 Director
District 80 FUN Annual Conference 2017 Webmaster

No comments:

Post a Comment